Student Application Information

Pre-college Students

  • To apply, you must be in your junior or senior year of high school at the time of application. Rising juniors are not eligible to attend.
  • Applicants that are current students or have been out of school for less than ten years should have their school submit an official transcript of grades. All supporting documents for the application must be received before the application deadline. See 'Academic Calendar' for application deadlines. 
  • You will be taking Yale College courses for credit in the company of college students. Yale does not offer pre-college courses. You will be held to the same academic standards as college students.  
  • Pre-college students living on campus are required to be full-time students; they must take two course credits or eight semester hours per session. A minimum of one of these courses must be taken in residence.  Pre-college students are not permitted to register for more than two course credits per session. For details on the definition of full-time enrollment, see under "Academic Regulations."  
  • Pre-college students are required to include an official transcript, two teacher recommendations and SAT/PSAT/ACT test scores with the completed application.
  • Pre-college students living on campus who drop one or both of their courses will be required to withdraw from Yale Summer Session and leave campus within twenty-four hours of academic withdrawal. 
  • Pre-college students, including those who have just graduated from high school, must live on campus unless they live with their family within commuting distance of New Haven. They are expected to remain on campus overnight except when participating in activities sponsored by Summer Session, or when they have written permission from a parent or guardian to leave campus for a specified period of time. 
  • All pre-college students are housed in one of the Yale dormitories, called residential colleges. Yale undergraduates serve as residential counselors and provide support and assistance. Any students under the age of 18 are housed together and are subject to curfew and other special regulations. Students 18 years of age or older are housed separately. All students are subject to the laws of the State of Connecticut, and no students are allowed to drink or possess alcohol on campus, regardless of age. 
  • Any student under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian sign a contract that stipulates an agreement to rules of conduct and the penalties for violating these rules. Parents or legal guardians of any student under 18 years of age are responsible for receiving and transporting within 24 hours any student who is removed from housing or the program for disciplinary reasons.  
  • Pre-college students are not eligible to take any Yale Summer Session Study Abroad courses.

Yale Students

  • Academic year financial aid awards do not apply to summer courses. Students should contact the University Financial Aid Office well before the summer to discuss their options.
  • Yale Summer Session (YSS) scholarships are limited to half tuition for up to two course credits. Only students currently receiving financial aid from Yale are eligible to receive summer scholarships from YSS.
  • Study abroad applicants who want to apply for an International Summer Award (ISA) should visit that website before applying to Summer Session in order to determine eligibility for the ISA.
  • There is no "shopping period" in Yale Summer Session.
  • Once you have been admitted to a course, you will receive a grade unless you formally withdraw from the course before it ends.
  • Yale College students who are medically withdrawn in a term prior to the summer  must provide documentation that they have had successful treatment from an appropriate health clinician before they can be considered for admission to Yale Summer Session.  A recommendation to permit summer study must come from either the director of Yale Health or the chief of the Mental Health and Counseling department, or from their official designees within Yale Health.
  • Students who have been admitted to Yale as incoming freshmen for the fall of 2015 are not considered to be pre-college students for the summer for housing purposes, and will be housed with college students.
  • Yale College students will be limited to taking two online courses during each summer and can only apply four online courses overall towards their Yale College degree. More information.

Visiting college students, or students beyond college

  • If you are a student at another college in the United States and applying to take courses at Yale Summer Session, you must have your school submit a current official transcript. It must be received by the application deadline. See 'Academic Calendar' for further information.
  • Students who have been out of college for more than ten years may submit a resume or curriculum vitae in lieu of a transcript.

International Students

  • Applicants that are current students or have been out of school for less than ten years should have their school submit an official transcript of grades translated into English. Applicants out of school ten years or more should submit a CV or Resume in lieu of a transcript. All supporting documents for the application must be received before the application deadline. See 'Academic Calendar' for application deadlines.
  • International students will need to enroll in a full-time course of study (normally two course credits per session). A minimum of one of these courses must be taken in residence.  You will need to enter the United States on an F-1 student visa.  A non-refundable visa processing fee of $100 will be required when you submit your application.  If you do not have an F-1 visa, you will not be allowed to attend, without exception; you may not study on a B-1/B-2 visitor or tourist visa.
  • International students only taking courses online (not coming to Yale campus) will not be issued an I-20. To waive the requirement of Financial Support for the I-20, please email Ava Suntoke at
  • You must be able to demonstrate a high level of fluency in the English language, to include reading and writing. We accept the TOEFL, with a minimum score of 600 on the paper-based test, 250 on the computer-based test, or 100 on the internet-based test. You may submit the IELTS* (International English Language Testing System) test in lieu of the TOEFL. A minimum overall band score of 7 is required. We also accept recent SAT test scores as proof of English.  In lieu of a test score, you may submit proof of attendance for at least three years at a secondary school where English is the primary language of instruction as alternative evidence of English language proficiency. No other alternative evidence of English proficiency will be allowed, and no exceptions will be made.
  • After you submit your application, be sure to allow plenty of time for the visa issuance process. In addition to the time required to process the Summer Session application (generally two to three weeks. We will begin processing I-20's for the summer in mid March), a visa may take anywhere from three weeks to six weeks or more to be approved. Check with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for time frames.
  • With your application, include proof that you have sufficient financial resources to meet the tuition and living expenses of the summer program. Such proof can be an original letter from your bank stating specifically that you have sufficient resources, a current bank statement issued by the bank, or a letter from a scholarship organization that will pay for your expenses. You will need to upload a copy of the letter with your application and keep the letter for your visa application.
  • If you are accepted into the program and have demonstrated that you have sufficient funds to cover the full cost of the program, Yale will send you an I-20 form through courier mail such as FedEx or DHL. Yale will not issue an I-20 if you are taking an online course.
  • All new students in the F-1 immigration status (other than those already studying in the United States) must pay a $200 SEVIS fee at least three days prior to their visa interview. To pay the fee online, go to You will have an opportunity to print out your receipt at the end of the process. You are required to bring one of the SEVIS fee receipts with you to your visa interview.  Please note that the SEVIS fee is different from the visa fee.
  • You must take the I-20 form to a U.S. embassy or consulate to apply for an F-1 student visa. Some processing fees may apply. You will also need to present the SEVIS fee receipt and an original financial certification letter from your bank at the embassy. Note: This step does not apply to Canadian citizens, who simply present an I-20 form and proof of financial support at the point of entry to be issued F-1 status. Canadians must present the I-20 form at the border to avoid entering in visitor's status (B-2). Make certain you are issued an I-94 card at the border.
  • Part-time study is generally not permitted for international students. However, if you already have F-1 or J-1 status and are currently studying at another U.S. college or university, you may study either full or part time at YSS. You must speak with your international student adviser or an adviser at Yale's Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS, 203.432.2305) to determine whether you need to obtain a Yale I-20 form for study in Yale Summer Session.
  • If you have sent an application but subsequently decide not to attend Yale Summer Session, you must inform the Summer Session office immediately.
  • Current information regarding visas is available on the OISS website.