Application and Important Information
The application process for online courses is much the same as for in-resident courses, with a few differences outlined here. Please read this page carefully and then follow the link to the application form if you wish to apply.
- Each course is worth one (1) Yale College credit, the equivalent of four (4) credit hours.
- Each course meets for five weeks, with specific start and end dates in either Summer Session A or Summer Session B.
- The course will have scheduled meeting times during the week and attendance online during these times is required. Online work is not exclusively self-study, and you will need to be available to meet with the course in a synchronous environment during the course of the 5-week session.
- If there is a final examination requirement and you live within 200 miles (320 kms.) of Yale, you may be required to attend the final examination in New Haven in person. If you do not live within 200 miles of New Haven, then you will be asked to find a person who can proctor your examination at a local university.
- For technical requirements, please click here. Flash player must also be up to date. You must also have an audio headset and microphone. The speakers built into your computers are not optimal. Students that have iPhones can use their iPhone headsets with built in microphone. Other students can purchase devices inexpensively. The following is an example of an inexpensive option for headset/microphone. http://amzn.to/mmrR5r
- You need to have a way to transmit video. Cameras built into computer monitors are sufficient. For students that do not have a built-in camera on their computer, one can be purchased inexpensively. Here is an example: http://amzn.to/mF2NCo
- We strongly urge you to have a wired Internet connection for the live streams.
- You may need a Skype account. These can be obtained for free at: http://www.skype.com
INFORMATION FOR CURRENT YALE COLLEGE STUDENTS
- Academic-year financial aid does not apply to any summer courses, including online courses. Summer scholarships may be applied, however, if you are currently eligible for financial aid.
- Online courses will count as graduation and distribution credit, and may count toward the major if approved by the department.
- You must be a current college student or have already been awarded a bachelors degree. High school or pre-college students may apply to select online courses - see descriptions.
- You may only take two courses total (two online, one in residence and one online, or two in residence) during the same session.
- Select online courses are available for audit (non-credit). Auditing an online course allows the student to access and experience a Yale College course without being responsible for the completion of assignments. When auditing a course online you will have access to the same course site, course materials, and assignment instructions - if you wish to complete them - as the for-credit students. In addition, you will have access to your fellow auditors of the course for peer discussion and collaboration. Grading of assignments will be at the discretion of the faculty. Audit cost $330.
- The application fee of $55 is paid online with a credit card.
- The tuition cost of $3,300 and technology fee of $85 must be paid no later than the last working day before the start of the course. Nonpayment will result in immediate disenrollment.
- Payment must be made to Yale University by check or wire transfer. Click here for payment details.
- The application deadline for Session A courses is May 13, 2013 and for Session B courses the deadline is June 17, 2013.
- Fill out the application form online. Choose the online course denoted by the letter “E” at the end of the number. Make a careful note of the correct five digit CRN (course registration number) that appears in parentheses following the course number.
- Non-Yale students must also send a copy of a current transcript if in college, or a resume if not. This transcript copy may be faxed (203 432-2434) or emailed as a .pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application will be processed as soon as it is complete, i.e. we must have your online application and transcript or resume.
- Accepted students will be notified immediately via email once they have been admitted to the course.